Nepalese Society for Children’s Literature (NESCHIL) is one of the leading organizations of the children’s literature in Nepal. It is located in Kathmandu. It was established in 1987 (Ghatasthapana, 2044 BS). It is a non-profit organization registered under the Government of Nepal with registraton number 13\045\46 in Kathmandu. Neschil is a voluntary organization devoted to development of child’s literature and reading habits in the country. Since then, it has been actively working in the country in the field of children’s literature. It is a parental organization of which some members are leading their own organizations too. It is also a pioneer and national level institution of more than 200 prominent writers, illustrators, journalists, publishers, librarians, researchers and experts. NESCHIL works in collaboration with individuals and institutions of similar aims and objectives. As children’s are leaders of future, we work to help them to become able, capable and good global citizen. As a national organization, NESCHIL offers opportunities in various fields of children’s literature.
Children’s Literature in Nepal
Nepal is the country where virgin girls are worshiped as living goddess. The geographical, ethnological and biological diversities have created this Himalayan country as a play ground of the children of diverse nature and culture. The population of children of 0-14 years is about 40%. The literary rate of Nepal was very low and slows till the middle of 20th century. The public education started since the beginning of 20th century. Printed books were rare for children till the publication of educational books in the beginning of 20th century.Books for children came into wider use since the mid of 20th century. The publication of books for children started only a century ago. In the contemporary Nepal, the percentage of literacy though seems improving but publication of book specially written for children is figures about 3000 titles. Traditional story telling practices have been helping to some extent to educate and entertain children. School books also facing difficulties in distribution throughout the country. Realising the need of the children dozens of publishers and organizations have been emerged in recent years. But appropriate and standardized books for children are lacking. Translation and research activities in the field of children’s literature are slow. NESCHIL is trying to create awareness and develop reading materials for them with its limited resources.
NESCHIL as a prominent organization, working for the development of children’s literature, has following objectives:
- Work to promote children’s literature through programs and publications along with advocating children’s rights.
- Coordinate to develop mutual cooperation between writers, illustrators, editors, translators, teachers, librarians, publishers, researchers, experts and individuals related to childrenn’s programs and organizations working in the field of children’s literature.
- Launch various programs to promote creation, publication, reading, distribution and research for the development of children’s literature.
- Encourage children, parents, teachers, publishers and social workers in promoting children’s reading and honour creators of outstanding contributors.
- Publish journal, organise seminars and work-shops and manage compitition and award writers of children’s literature.
- Develop links and co-operations with national and international organizations devoted to children’s literature and reading habits.
NESCHIL was a member of International Board on Books for Young (IBBY) in 2006 and the Executive Committee works for both the organizations.
NESCHIL works with close co-operation with various organizations devoted to children’s literature, children’s reading and activities related to the welfare of children. For this, it forms various sub committees to involve them in order to perform specific programs and projects.
NESCHIL is actively working to fulfil objectives and promote children’s literature in Nepal.
– We publish selected quality book of reputed writers and quality writiing.
– We are publishing a journal Bal Sahitya and a newsletter regularaly.
– Translate best books of different languages published in Nepal and abroad for the children.
– Organise annual conferences each year in seperate places of different districts in the country.
– Organise seminars, symposiums, talk programs, discussion meeting and story telling sessions, book exhibitions and promotional programs.
– Arrange interaction programmes with children as well as meetings with parents, publishers and authorities working for children.
– Coordinate innovative programs like mobile (Book box) libraries, school libraries, distribution of reading materials and creative writing programs.
NESCHIL has also conducted programs in collaboration with Nepal Academy, UNICEF, UNESCO, IBBY Yamada Project, Danish Writers Association, CWIN, READ Nepal, other INGOs, NGOs and schools. NESCHIL Published Nepalese Encyclopaedia for Children in collaboration with UNESCO for the first time in Nepal in 2004 and the second revised edition is scheduled for 2017.
Membership is open to both individuals and institutions and they are from different professions like writers, teachers, educationists, publishers, illustrators and librarians , organizations devoted to children’s literatures and reading.
There are four categories of membership: General, Life, Honorary and Institutional. Application form can be downloaded from the website: www.neschil.org
Prof. Dr. C.M. Bandhu, Prof. Ram Kumar Panday, Dr. Tirtha Bahadur Shresth, Mr. Biswambhar Chanchal Mrs. Maya Thakuri, Mr. Viktor Pradhan and Mr. Vijaya Chalise.
NEPALESE SOCIETY FOR CHILDREN’S LITERATURE
(NESCHIL) and NEPALESE SECTION OF
INTERNATIONAL BOARD ON BOOK
FOR YOUNG PEOPLE (NBBY)
Executive Committee of NESCHIL/NBBY
President Mr. Tej Prakash Shreastha
Vice President Dr. Shailendu Prakash Nepal
General Secretary Mr. Pramod Pradhan
Secretary Mr. Yashu Shrestha
Treasurer Mr. Kartikeya Ghimire
Member Dr. Dhruva Kumar Ghimire
Member Mr. Pradip Lama Bamjan
Member Mrs.Yadevi Dhakal
Member Mr. Rajendra Bhakta Joshi
Member Dr. Renuka Thapa Solu
Member Mr. Bijayaraj Acharya
Tel.: 977-01-4241591 E-Mail: neschil2044gmail.com
Post box 1488, Bag Bazar, Kathmandu, Nepal